To-do lists can enable you to save time for the best things in life - there is nothing more satisfying than ticking off all the things that you've completed! However, the flip side is that at times they can make you feel overwhelmed and that there is just not enough hours in the day...
There is an ever-increasing number of to-do list apps to help you if you prefer a digital solution. What works for me is the good old-fashioned paper-based to-do list, however, app-based to-do lists work equally well - it just depends on what system you prefer. Asana is a great app that allows you to manage your to-do list from your desk/phone.
Here are some top tips so that your to-do lists are useful, rather than overwhelming :
- Make the list and prioritise - does it really have to be done by then or can you cut yourself some slack?
- Does it actually have to be done at all? Don't sweat the small stuff and check in with yourself whether this task is really necessary.
- Divide up your list in terms of what you need to do and what others can do for you.The key here is to delegate to family, friends, staff - you don't have to do it all yourself!
- Take satisfaction when you tick things off and complete tasks - it's a great feeling and makes you realise that you are winning; staying on top of things and churning through stuff.
- Create your to-do list the night before so that you can hit the ground running the next day.
- To-do lists shouldn't always be about work and chores. Make sure you add in a section which is all about the tasks that are centred around 'me-time'
- Make sure that your tasks are actionable and specific. It can be helpful to break larger projects into more manageable chunks.
By following these steps, your tasks will be broken down, prioritised so you get things done in a timely fashion and include time for yourself. This gives you control of your actions which means it is less likely that the list will become overwhelming.
If you need help managing your to-do list, or have tasks that you would rather allocate to someone else, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or see our website www.timegenie.co.nz for a full list of services.
Based on an article by Diane Booth Personal Concierge service (London)
Time Genie Personal Concierge Services
Ph: 022 394 8493